Sweet and sour sauce is delicious over anything, from chicken to pork to shrimp, but spoon it over some premade meatballs and you’ve got a great dinner that’s ready in a flash.
Swedish meatballs are one of those classic appetizers you find at parties; the reason they’re such a hit is that they’re easy to make and eat. Just add a few ingredients into a slow cooker or sauté pan, serve with a few toothpicks, and you’re good to go. But, if you add some rice and a few more vegetables, this appetizer turns into a delectable dinner the whole family will enjoy.
Sweet & Sour Meatballs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup baby carrots, chopped
- 1, 14-ounce can chicken stock
- 1, 14-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 12 premade frozen meatballs
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat; add the onions, carrots, and pepper and sauté until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken stock, tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, pineapple juice, and ketchup and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Defrost meatballs for 30 seconds in the microwave; drop thawed meatballs into sauce and simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes. Ladle meatballs and sauce over steamed white rice and serve.