Tonight's Dinner: Vegetable pasta bake
Tortellini can be great by itself with tomato sauce, but add a creamy cheese sauce and several different kinds of vegetables, and you elevate this pasta to a whole new level.
We love chicken, steak, and fish in my house. It doesn't matter if we grill it, sear it, or roast it, it's devoured in minutes. Every so often, though, I like to eat a little healthier and skip the fatty protein.
It's on those nights that I try and whip up something that's strictly veggie. While it doesn't have to be pasta or rice, they're usually the easiest entrées to find that aren't meat-based. They're also the easiest to make when I'm in a hurry and don't have the time to whip up a decent sauce for spaghetti or ravioli. This is when I turn to a baked pasta. See, the baked pasta doesn't usually require too much sauce and sometimes it requires no sauce at all, just some tomatoes or vegetables and cheese—just like the following recipe.
So, in honor of "Meatless Monday" I bring you this quick and easy vegetable pasta bake, a delicious dish that you and your family will enjoy.
Vegetable Pasta Bake
- 1, 20-ounce package cheese tortellini
- 2 cups snow peas
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1, 8-ounce package light cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; cook tortellini according to package directions, adding snow peas and carrots for the last minute; drain.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; sauté mushrooms until tender, about 5 minutes; remove from skillet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together broth, flour, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper; pour into the same skillet; add the milk and cook until thickened and bubbling; add cream cheese and cook, stirring constantly, until smooth; remove from heat.
- Combine tortellini mixture, tomatoes, and mushrooms with cream cheese mixture in a large bowl; spoon into an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking dish; bake covered for 30 minutes, or until heated through; sprinkle with Romano cheese and serve immediately.