Tonight's Dinner: Chicken souvlaki
Got some leftover chicken but don't know what to do with it? This recipe for chicken souvlaki is the answer.
I love roasting a chicken for dinner for two reasons: First, baked with just a little salt and pepper and served with rice or vegetables, gives me and my family a wonderful dinner; second, there's usually plenty left over for at least another meal or two.
So then the question becomes, what can I do with all that leftover meat? I could make a salad, but I'd like something a little more filling. A casserole would be a good choice, but some nights I don't have the time. This Greek chicken dish is the perfect answer. It takes no time to prepare and it's very filling.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pitas cut in half
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup red onions
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- Whisk together the olive oil, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl; add the chicken and let marinate for 15 to 30 minutes.
- While the chicken marinates, stir together yogurt, cilantro, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper; chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Grill chicken in a grill pan over medium-high heat until no longer pink in the middle, 3 to 5 minutes per side; chop the chicken into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon yogurt sauce into each pita half; add 4 to 5 pieces of chicken, 2 tablespoons arugula, 1 tablespoon onion, 2 tablespoons cherry tomatoes, and serve immediately.