The macho manly meat pizza
There is a trend among pizza recipes, especially those aspiring to be gourmet. These pizzas tend to be a little…snooty, a little fru fru perhaps. While there is nothing wrong with that per se, there is also nothing wrong with devouring a huge mouthful of meat with every bite. However, you can’t just pour a ton of meat onto a crust and expect the pizza to work. Even a manly man’s dream pizza requires some balance and forethought. In the end, you end up with something like this pizza, which has the soul of a gourmet pie with the toppings of a carnivore’s paradise.
Ingredients for a Macho manly meat pizza
- 1 medium pizza crust
For the sauce:
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
For the cheese:
- 1 cup mozzarella
For the toppings:
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, spicy or mild (not breakfast sausage), crumbled
- 1/4 pound ground hamburger, browned
- 1/2 pound flank steak
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced ham
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced white onion
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (if you are using a packaged crust, you may use the temperature specified on the package).
- If you're using a mix, prepare your crust according to package directions. When it is ready, bake it for 10 minutes, or until it starts to set. If you are not using a packaged crust, it doesn't need to be pre-baked.
- While you are pre-baking, brown both the sausage and the hamburger together over medium-high heat; scoop out the hamburger and sausage and pour in the tomato sauce, garlic powder, and basil; stir to mix and bring to a boil; set aside.
- While the hamburger and sausage are browning, take the flank steak out of the refrigerator. When it's at about room temperature, sprinkle it liberally with salt and pepper.
- Next, put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet and get it hot over medium-high heat; add the flank steak and cook it 2 minutes per side; place it in the oven (which should still be at 350 degrees F) to finish cooking, about 8 minutes for medium rare; then cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Assemble the pizza by spreading a good amount of sauce on the pizza, adding the ham, sausage, and hamburger, then spreading the cheese over those meats, and finishing with the flank steak and onions.
- Bake until the cheese is melted.