Vegetarian breakfast recipes
Superior to protein- and fat-laden meat-based breakfasts, vegetarian breakfasts featuring whole grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and healthy fats will fuel your body and mind to power through a busy morning. Nutrient-dense and rich with satisfying flavor, these three vegetarian breakfast recipes are the perfect meat-free meals to start your day.
High Energy Coconut Groats and Fruit
Buckwheat groats, also known as kasha, are the hulled seeds of the buckwheat plant. Toasting groats before cooking intensifies their nutty flavor. They are naturally high in fiber, protein, and iron, making them an invaluable whole grain for the vegetarian or vegan diet.
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup chopped, dried mango
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons agave, or more to taste
- 1 cup warmed coconut milk
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add groats and stir until just fragrant and lightly toasted.
- Remove pan from the heat and stir in water and salt; return to the burner and bring to a boil.
- Cover pan, reduce heat to low; simmer for 12 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and groats are tender.
- In a large bowl, combine groats, cinnamon, currants, mango, pineapple, and coconut; taste and sweeten with agave.
- Stir in coconut milk and serve immediately.
Sunrise Seeded Honey Muffins
These healthy muffins are studded with a variety of seeds, including chia seed, which are high in omega-3s, fiber, fat, protein, and iron. The addition of seeds gives these muffins an energy-sustaining boost of nutrition. Transform this recipe into a vegan breakfast by substituting soy milk for regular milk and swapping maple syrup for honey.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup coconut or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 12-serving muffin pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, wheat germ, baking powder, seeds, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, honey, lemon zest and juice, oil, and vanilla.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture and mix gently until wet ingredients are moistened.
- Fill the muffin pan with batter and bake for about 25 minutes, or until the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely, or enjoy warm with butter.
Spring Vegetable Frittata
Eggs are not only nature's perfect protein, they're also a nutrient-dense breakfast food that increases your ability to focus and better concentration means a more productive day at work, school, or play. Spring vegetables and goat cheese give this vegetarian breakfast satisfying flavor as well as a tasty dose of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, protein, and calcium.
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 5 eggs
- 3-ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped (white and green parts)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss together zucchini, 2 tablespoons oil, and garlic; spread out on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper.
- Roast vegetables until tender and caramelized around the edges, about 15 minutes.
- Heat remaining oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat; add spinach and cook, stirring often, until just wilted; add zucchini and garlic, evenly distributing it in the skillet; sprinkle with goat cheese and green onions.
- Whisk eggs together in a bowl; season with salt and pepper; pour into skillet and shake skillet to let eggs run under vegetables.
- Cook, shaking skillet occasionally, until the sides of the eggs are set; place in the oven and bake until the center is set.
- Invert onto a serving plate and serve warm.