Chocolate Cranberry Biscotti
Makes 4 dozen cookies
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5-ounces dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine both flours with cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat egg whites with egg yolk, almond extract, and sugar until combined; gradually beat flour mixture into egg mixture until combined, dough should be fairly firm.
- Mix cranberries into batter and turn out onto a floured surface; knead dough and cut in half; roll each piece into a log and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake about 20 minutes, or until browned; let cool and then slice into 1/2-inch thick slices. Place cookies back on baking sheet and bake 10 minutes then flip and bake another 10 minutes, or until both sides are golden; let cool before storing.
Banana Cream Pudding
Makes 6 servings
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups low fat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, and milk in a saucepan and heat over medium heat until mixture becomes thick.
- Stir in vanilla and continue to cook a few more minutes, do not let mixture boil.
- Divide banana slices into individual pudding bowls and pour pudding mixture over the bananas; chill until firm.
Peanut Butter Brownies
Makes 16 brownies
- 8-ounces unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Beat applesauce, butter, milk, egg white, and sugar until well combined.
- Combine both flours with cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt; gradually beat dry mixture into wet mixture until batter is well combined.
- Stir peanut butter into batter and spoon batter into prepared pan; bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let brownies cool before slicing into bite-size pieces.