Up next: More spicy and savory dinner recipes >>
Slow cooker pulled pork tacos
Get the fiesta started with these fiery tacos.
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast or picnic roast (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into 1/4-inch squares
- 1 sweet green pepper, cut into 1/4-inch squares
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) jalapeno-flavored diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne red pepper
- 1 can (11 ounces) corn kernels, drained
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced green chiles, drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 16 corn tortillas (warmed)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- Sour cream
- In 5-quart slow cooker, layer the sweet peppers, pork roast and chopped onion.
- In a medium-size bowl, stir the tomatoes, cumin, garlic salt, oregano and cayenne pepper. Pour evenly over the mixture in the slow cooker. Add chiles and corn.
- Cover slow cooker; cook on high heat for 5 hours.
- Remove pork roast and transfer to cutting board; keep warm.
- Remove 1 1/2 cups liquid from pot and discard.
- Stir the tomato paste into the vegetable mixture in the slow cooker. Cover and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Cut the pork roast into slices, then shred. Add the shredded pork to slow cooker mixture and heat through.
- To serve, wrap the pork mixture in the warmed corn tortillas. Garnish with fresh cilantro and sour cream.
Spicy jerk chicken
Savor this tropical, yet spicy concoction and serve over rice or beans.
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- Dash of black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- In a food processor or blender, combine the green onions, onion, habanero pepper, soy sauce, vinegar, vegetable oil, brown sugar, thyme, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, garlic and black pepper. Mix for about 15 seconds.
- Place the chicken in a medium-size bowl and coat with the marinade. Refrigerate for 4 – 6 hours, or overnight, if possible.
- Preheat grill for high heat. Cook chicken on the prepared grill 6 – 8 minutes, or until juices run clear.
- Remove chicken from grill and slice it into strips. Serve over brown rice or beans.