This hearty White Bean and Ham soup is the perfect way to warm up from the inside out. Serve this soup alongside a loaf of crusty white bread for a wholesome and complete meal.
White Bean and Ham Soup
- 1 pound bag of Great Northern Beans, sorted and rinsed
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
- 3 leeks, rinsed and sliced
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley
- Place rinsed beans in a large bowl and cover completely with cold water; allow beans to soak overnight.
- The following day, place ham hocks in a large pot and cover with 2 quarts of water; bring to a boil while preparing the vegetables.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat; add onion, leeks, celery, and carrots and cook for about five minutes. Stir in garlic and continue cooking for one minute; remove from heat.
- Turn heat down to low; add the drained beans, vegetables, and bay leaf to the pot with the ham hocks and stir to combine.
- Simmer for two hours, or until the beans are soft and the ham meat easily pulls away from the bone; pull the meat off the bone and discard the bones. Add salt and pepper to taste and finish with chopped fresh parsley.