Tonight's Dinner: Gourmet Grilled Cheese
Grilled cheese is one of those classic comfort foods; it's warm, rich and inviting, and the best part is, it can be a wonderfully delicious dinner.
Grilled cheese is one of those dishes that is perfect no matter when you have it, for lunch with a bowl of soup or as the perfect end to a long, hard day. It doesn't matter if you like it with American cheese slices on whole wheat bread or shredded gruyere on thick, rich sourdough bread, grilled cheese can be the perfect answer to any occasion and everybody from adults to kids loves it.
You can make it as plain or as fancy as you like; you can serve it by itself or with soup or a salad. So, the next time you're at a loss for what to make for dinner, grab some bread and cheese, maybe a tomato, or some ham and grill up some comfort.
Gourmet Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices of thick sourdough bread
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Granny Smith or Fuji apple, thinly sliced
- Place 8 slices of apple on each of 2 pieces of sourdough.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of gruyere and 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar cheese over the apple slices on the bread; place another slice of sourdough on top and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat; place sandwich in a pan and cook until cheese is melted and apples are tender, about 3 minutes per side. Serve immediately.