Here is a sugar cookie recipe that is easy to make and has endless possibilities for variation. The simple sugar cookie base uses lemon zest and sour cream, to create a soft texture and a splash of citrus. To keep with the lemon theme, I have chosen to adorn the cookies with a sweet and tart lemon curd giving it an alluring appeal that most will find truly irresistible.
Yield | about 30 cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar; plus more for rolling cookies in
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
- 3/4 cup lemon curd
- In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar and lemon zest with an electric mixer and beat until light, fluffy and fragrant; about 3 minutes.
- Add in egg and mix until well combined. Add in vanilla and sour cream; mix until thoroughly incorporated. Mixture may appear curdled, but that’s okay, it will come back together once the dry ingredients are introduced to the mixture.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the butter mixture until just combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Form dough into one inch balls, roll dough balls in sugar and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes.
- As soon as removing cookies from the oven press small indentation into the top of the cookies with the bottom of a measuring teaspoon.
- Once the cookies have cooled, spoon or pipe lemon curd into the indentation.
Storage: Store cookies in airtight container for up to 3 days.