With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I decided to get in the mood by baking up rich, thick brownies in a bite-size package. These brownies are made with bitter chocolate to give the morsels that intense flavor that every chocoholic craves. Dipping the brownies into festively hued candy melts gives a sweet and decorative appeal. This dessert is bound to make your valentine fall in love all over again!
Yield | 14 bites
- 1/4 cup of flour, plus 2 tablespoons
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 2.5 ounces of bitter sweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter, chocolate, and brown sugar in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over very low heat, stirring frequently with a heatproof spatula and keeping an eye on the pan so that nothing overheats or burns.
- When the mixture is smooth, remove from the heat and cool for a minute or two. Stir the vanilla and egg into the chocolate mixture.
- When the mixture is well blended, add the flour and stir only until it is incorporated. You should have a smooth, glossy batter.
- Spoon the batter into 14 of the mini-muffin cups, using about a teaspoon of batter to fill each cup 3/4 full.
- Put 1 teaspoon of water in each empty cup.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until the tops of the buttons spring back when touched. Transfer the pans to racks to cool for 3 minutes before carefully releasing the buttons.
- Cool to room temperature on the racks.
- Place desired amount of candy melts into the microwave until smooth, stirring occasionally.
- Dip the top of the brownie bite into the melted candy, twirling it until covered.
- Decorate with festive decorations if desired. Candy hardens quickly so place decorations on immediately after brownie is dipped.
Slightly adapted from Dorie Greenspan