Your party guests will enjoy sampling these tasty dips while watching the big game. Try one or more of the top 5 for your next gathering.
5. Cheese dip, of course
Cheese dip is a given, but you can change it up to make it a little less predictable, says Krystle Nicole Russin, author of The Non-Diet Real Cookbook: Easy Recipes to Stay Skinny Eating Anything You Want and Learn How to Cook!
- add a bit of jalapeno and spices to melted American cheese for a Mexican-flavored dip
- melt organic cheese in the microwave and add a touch of garlic
- mix together two or three cheeses — even goat cheese
- throw in some toasted croutons or bread crumbs for a different texture
- mix in ground turkey or beef and salsa for a chunky dip
Serve cheese dip with cooked or uncooked veggies — especially mushrooms, says Russin. “Or improve those tired old chicken wings with one of these dips!”
Try a creamy blue cheese dip – it’s perfect for wings
4. artichoke dip
“This is the absolute best artichoke dip,” says Irene St. Onge of 212-EVENTS, a NYC catering and event company.
- 3 cans unseasoned artichokes, drained
- 4 cups regular mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
Mix all ingredients together and add salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes until bubbly and brown on top. Serve with fresh carrots, celery, crackers and small pieces of bread or toast.
3. Guacamole dip
Sure, you can buy guacamole dip, but it tastes so much better when you make it yourself.
- 4 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and mashed
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp onion, minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Serve immediately with nacho chips. Substitutions: Use chunky salsa instead of tomatoes. Use lime instead of lemon (both contain acid that keeps the avocados from turning dark).
2. Hot crab dip
Hot crab dip is great for onion or garlic crackers, Italian toast, celery and much more!
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 6-ounce cans crabmeat
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- paprika, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients (except paprika) in a medium bowl. Transfer mix to a shallow 9×13 baking dish. Garnish with paprika. Bake 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
1. Seven-Layer Dip
This beloved dip can be made ahead of time, so it’s perfect for parties!
- 1 9-ounce can bean dip
- 1/4 cup taco sauce
- 8-ounce container lite sour cream
- 1 6-ounce container guacamole dip
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp olives, sliced and pitted
- 2/3 cup tomatoes, chopped and seeded
Combine bean dip and taco sauce and spread a 1/4-inch thick layer on a serving platter. In this order, layer sour cream, guacamole dip, cheese, green onions and olives. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 4 hours or overnight. Sprinkle the dip with chopped tomato and serve with tortilla chips!