Tonight's Dinner: Slow Cooker Short Ribs with Mushrooms
Cold winter days are the perfect time to pull out your slow-cooker. A few ingredients mixed together and thrown in the pot, mean you can make a meal that appears as if you've spent the day slaving over a hot stove when in reality, it only took you about 30 minutes to prepare.
Slow cookers or crock pots are one of the great appliances every kitchen should have. When you know you're not going to have the time to put together a big meal, there's nothing better than pulling out your slow-cooker, throwing all the ingredients in and letting it cook for hours while you go to work or run all those errands that you've been putting off.
This recipe adapted from Sunset Magazine is the perfect answer for a cold night when you're craving a rich beef stew. Pour it over rice, and you'll be thrilled you saved your slow cooker for a rainy day!
Slow-braised Short Ribs with Mushrooms
- 2 pounds fat-trimmed beef short ribs
- 1 orange, rinsed
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 cup beef or chicken stock
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup port
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp thyme
- 5-6 thin slices peeled fresh ginger
- 1 pound mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse meat and place in 5- to 6- quart slow cooker.
- With a vegetable peeler, peel the orange part of the peel and sliver it. Save the meat of the orange for another use or eat it while you're cooking.
- In a 2-quart sauce pan, combine the orange peel, onion, stock, wine, port, vinegar, soy sauce, thyme, and ginger. Bring to a boil over high heat. Pour the liquid over the meat. Turn the slowcooker to high, cover and cook until the meat is very tender, 5-6 hours.
- Rinse and drain mushrooms. Cut mushrooms in half lengthwise and place in skillet with butter.
- Ladle 1 cup of liquid from slowcooker into skillet with mushrooms. Stir over high heat until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Place meat from slowcooker into a shallow casserole dish. Pour the mushrooms over the meat and bake at 375°F for 15 minutes.
- While the meat cooks in the oven, pour the rest of the liquid from the slowcooker into a 2-3 qt sauce pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Take a 1/4 cup of the liquid and combine it in a cup with the cornstarch. Pour back into the pan and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Pour into the casserole dish over the meat. Serve over rice.