As you are gearing up for the big Super Bowl weekend, keep in mind that you are not on the field running, throwing, and tackling away mega-calories. Most likely, the only exercise you are getting is the occasional celebratory jump up from the comfy couch, or the necessary walk to the food table. Instead of fumbling your diet, fill up on skinny Super Bowl foods. Here are three healthy Super Bowl recipes.
Slim Trim Touchdown Tacos
Makes 8 tacos
Tacos loaded with ground turkey and skinny fixings will keep you from going offsides with your Super Bowl eating. Spicy, healthy, and easy serve these with guacamole and fresh salsa.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup sliced black olives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- Chopped green onions (white and green parts)
- Finely chopped jalapeño or bell pepper
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded cabbage
- Shredded cheese
- Light sour cream
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add turkey and onion and cook, stirring often, until onion starts to soften.
- Add taco seasoning and black olives and cook, stirring, until turkey is browned; season with salt and pepper; stir in cilantro.
- Fill tortillas with turkey filling and garnish with toppings of your choice.
Fast and Fit Chicken Fingers
Deep-fried chicken strips or wings are a game-losing move. Try these healthy baked chicken fingers made of lean, skinless chicken breasts. Serve with tomato sauce, salsa, light Ranch dressing, or even honey-flavored Greek yogurt.
- 1 whole chicken breast (2 halves)
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 cup medium-grind cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease a large baking sheet.
- Use the flat, smooth side of a mallet and gently beat chicken breast halves to an even thickness; cut into 16 strips.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together bread crumbs, cornmeal, seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- In a second shallow dish, whisk together eggs.
- Dredge chicken strips in egg then bread crumb mixture, shaking excess off; place strips on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until coating is lightly browned and crisp and chicken is cooked through.
Super Spicy Onion Rings
Makes about 40 onions rings
Crisp on the outside, tender oniony-sweet on the inside, onion rings are a favorite Super Bowl snack that, when fried, can tackle your diet down in just a few bites. These super flavorful and healthy baked onion rings are a better catch for your health and waistline.
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut into about 1/2-inch slices
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups dry unseasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, hot taco seasoning, or curry powder
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Grease 2 large rimmed baking sheets.
- Separate onion slices into rings; place the largest rings in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Reserve the smaller rings for another use. You should have about 40 medium and large rings.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together flour and baking powder. Lightly beat eggs in a second shallow dish. Combine breadcrumbs and seasoning in a third shallow dish.
- Working with one onion ring at time, remove from the water, letting any excess water drip off; dredge onion in flour mixture, shaking off any excess; dip onion in egg and let any excess drip off; coat onion in the breadcrumb mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Place onion rings on the prepared baking sheets and generously coat the onion rings with cooking spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip each onion ring, and continue to bake until onion rings are browned and crisp, about 10 minutes.