Tonight's Dinner: Creamy Tomato Soup
On a chilly night, nothing says comfort like a nice bowl of creamy tomato soup.
Creamy tomato soup is the ultimate comfort food, especially when fresh heirloom tomatoes are used. The fact that it only takes 20 minutes, makes this soup even better than the canned version. Add a grilled cheese sandwich and you've got the perfect dinner for parents and kids alike.
Creamy Tomato Soup
- 1 28 oz can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over a medium flame.
- Add the shallots and sauté until tender.
- Stir in the heirloom tomatoes, canned tomatoes and their juices.
- Stir in the sugar, chicken broth, and pepper and bring everything to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender or food processor.
- Return the blended mixture to the pot and stir in the cream until it's heated through, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the balsamic vinegar and serve.
More tomato soup & grilled cheese recipes