Cheesy homemade green bean casserole
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 12 ounces frozen cut green beans
- 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled butter crackers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and coat a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet and stir in flour, salt, pepper, and garlic. Cook for a few seconds until garlic is just lightly browned.
- Mix in sour cream and sherry then add green beans and coat well.
- Spoon green beans into prepared casserole dish and top with cheese. Melt remaining tablespoon of butter and mix with crackers. Sprinkle crackers over casserole and bake 20 to 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and crackers are golden.
Orange and ginger glazed carrots and pecans
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 pound carrots, sliced into disks
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- Salt to taste
- Combine carrots and orange juice in a saucepan and cook until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Mix honey, butter, ginger, and pecan halves into pot with carrots and season with salt. Continue cooking until butter has melted and sauce is well combined, about 5 minutes.
Savory sweet potato pie
Recipe courtesy of Betty Crocker
Makes 8 servings
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 can (17 ounces) sweet potatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 eggs
- 1 box Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust, softened
- 5 thin rings green bell pepper
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In 10-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, turning once, until crisp; place on paper towels. Chop bacon; set aside. In same skillet, cook bell pepper and onion over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until crisp-tender.
- In medium bowl, mash sweet potatoes with fork; add sugar, seasoned salt, pepper, thyme and eggs. Beat with electric mixer on low speed 1 to 2 minutes or until well blended. Stir in chopped bacon and bell pepper mixture.
- Remove pie crust from pouch; place flat on ungreased cookie sheet. Spread filling over crust to within 1 1/2 inches of edge. Carefully fold edge of crust up over filling, pleating crust as necessary.
- Bake 30 minutes. Arrange bell pepper rings over filling. Bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and center is set. Cool 5 to 10 minutes. Serve warm.