Everything is better when made in miniature and these coconut cream tarts are no exception. A creamy coconut custard blends harmoniously with buttery pie dough to create perfectly portioned miniature desserts that are full of coconut flavor.
Mini coconut cream tarts
Yields 6, 4-inch, tarts
- 1 1/4 cups half and half
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean; scraped
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted, divided use
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- 6, 4-inch, tart shells, baked
- 1 1/2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a medium saucepan, combine half and half, coconut milk, vanilla bean and scraped insides of the bean, egg, sugar, flour, and salt; bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and stir in 1/2 cup of the coconut and the coconut extract; pour into pie shell and chill 2 to 4 hours, or until firm.
- Top tarts with whipped topping and remaining 1/4 cup of coconut.
- Note: To toast coconut, spread it in an ungreased pan and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring often.