Apple-herb turkey gravy and other unique gravy recipes for Thanksgiving
Don't serve plain gravy out of a jar or packet! This Thanksgiving, try one of these tasty gravy recipes to make your meal special.
Apple-herb turkey gravy
This gravy recipe, courtesy of The Food Channel, is rich in flavor and color. The base can be made a day or two ahead, making your Thanksgiving Day prep a little easier.
- 1/2 pound, 2 sticks butter, unsalted
- 3 cups (3 to 4 onions) yellow onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart roasted turkey stock or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sage leaf, fresh (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme, fresh (optional)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon Calvados apple brandy (optional)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
Gravy base directions:
- In a large, heavy sauté pan, melt butter and sauté onions on medium heat, stirring frequently for about 15 to 20 minutes, until onions are caramelized to a rich, golden brown. The butter will foam as the water content of the butter and onions boils off.
- Sprinkle flour over the onions and mix to blend; cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add hot turkey stock, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes to thicken.
- At this point the gravy base may be chilled quickly and refrigerated for a day or two.
To finish the gravy:
- Reheat gravy base. If desired, add fresh herbs and cream.
- If you have the opportunity to use additional turkey drippings from the roasting pan, remove the turkey and hold covered in a warm place. Pour or spoon off excess fat. Add enough chicken stock or water to cover the bottom of the pan. Place pan with drippings and stock over a medium to high burner and reduce the liquid to 1/4 or less.
- Add apple cider and Calvados to roasting pan and stir to deglaze the nicely browned turkey found on the bottom and sides of the pan. With a rubber spatula, scrape all of the deglazed pan drippings through a strainer into the gravy base.
- Season with 1/2 of the salt and pepper, simmer and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and adjust with additional salt and pepper, if needed.