The same Thanksgiving meal can get a little ho hum year after year. If you are looking for something different for your Thanksgiving dinner table this year, mix things up with one of these out of the ordinary side dishes.
Glazed pearl onions recipe
The raisins and honey make these pearl onions come alive with flavor. This unique side dish recipe is perfect for Thanksgiving or anytime.
- 2 pounds pearl onions
- 3/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add onions and cook 3 to 4 minutes to loosen the skins. Drain onions and cool slightly. Cut root ends from onions. Squeeze onions at stem end, allowing them to slip out of their skins.
- Combine onions, sherry, raisins, honey, water, butter or margarine, and thyme in a large skillet. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer until the liquid evaporates and onions begin to caramelize, stirring often, about 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Stir almonds and vinegar into onions. Add a couple of teaspoons of water if mixture is too dry. Serve warm.