Who wants to labor on Labor Day, especially when celebrating the end of summer? Let’s kick back, relax and enjoy the great weather with these delicious Labor Day recipes that will allow you to entertain without being drained!
Try these delicious Labor Day recipes!
Labor Day Asian Braised Short Rib Tacos
5 to 6 pounds beef short ribs
salt and pepper to taste
one large onion, diced
4 medium carrots rough chopped
1 leek, white part, cleaned and sliced thinly
3 cloves garlic, minced
1, 16 oz. can of crushed pineapple juice and all
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
- Place ribs in a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker and add all remaining ingredients on top of the ribs.
- Cook on low heat for 8-10 hours or high heat for 5-6 hours until meat is fork tender.
- Remove ribs from slow cooker, and drain the liquid into sauce pan.
- Heat excess liquid over medium heat and let simmer for approximately 1/2 hour until liquid is reduced to approximately half of what it originally was.
- Add liquid back to ribs.
- Using a fork shred the meat and incorporate all the liquid back into the meat. Pair with flour tortillas or whole leaves of butter lettuce for a healthier alternative.
- Accompany with fun items such as chipolinni onions, rice and beans, sour cream, green onions, shredded cheese (cotija or manchego are great), and diced tomatoes.
Now that you have pleased the masses and convinced them you have been slaving away, it’s time for dessert… Nothing says anti-labor like a No Bake Cheesecake with pizzaz!
Labor Day No Bake Cheesecake
1 (8oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
1, 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
1 cup of chopped Milky Way candy bar
1 ½ cup chocolate wafer crumbs
1/4 cup crushed pecans
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter melted
2 cups whipping cream, whipped
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the wafer crumbs, nuts, sugar and butter into a crust.
- In a 9-inch pie pan, firmly pat the bottom and sides with this mixture and transfer to the refrigerator to chill.
- In a large mixing bowl use an electric mixer to blend the cream cheese until creamy.
- Next add the sweetened condensed milk and candy bar pieces and mix well. Fold the whipping cream into the mixture gently and pour into your pan.
- Freeze over night and garnish with more Milky Way Bars or Snickers. Pull it out, and serve