Easy, healthy bean recipes for summer
Beans are cheap and healthy, but they’re not known for their starring roles in the kitchen, right? We’re here to change your mind with three easy, flavorful recipes that start with a can of beans. These ideas will stretch your budget without letting down your taste buds.
A pita stuffed with garbanzo bean fritters and cucumber slaw is a delicious, hearty dinner option for Meatless Monday. Or, entertain on the fly (and on the cheap) with a smashed white bean dip, or a black bean salsa with roasted veggies.
To give dishes the freshest flavor, remember to rinse canned beans to get rid of the thick liquid they are packed in.
Black Bean and Roasted Corn Salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn (or substitute 1 to 2 ears of leftover, cooked corn on the cob)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 1, 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1, 4-ounce package of feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Thaw corn by running it under cold water; drain, then pat dry with a towel; place kernels in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- On another baking sheet, place tomatoes in a single layer.
- Roast corn and tomatoes in oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until browned; remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, seed avocado and remove the flesh; cut into chunks and place in a bowl; add the black beans and lime juice.
- When corn and tomatoes are cool, add to the black bean mixture.
- Before serving, crumble feta and stir into the salsa.
White Bean Dip
- 1, 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh, flat leaf parsley (Italian parsley), chopped
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan, grated
- Juice and zest of half of a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place rinsed cannellini beans in a bowl and smash with a fork to break down some of the beans.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well; continue to smash mixture with a fork to get a chunky consistency (don't smash it into a smooth paste).
- Serve at room temperature with crackers or toasted baguette slices.
Chickpea Fritter Pitas with Garlicky Yogurt Sauce
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients for yogurt sauce
- 1 cup low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Add more garlic, to taste, if desired; refrigerate until serving.
Ingredients for chickpea fritter pitas
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tomato
- 1, 15-ounce can chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans), rinsed
- 1 egg white
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 pitas, cut in half and toasted
- Using the coarse side of a box grater, grate the cucumber into a mixing bowl.
- Finely dice the tomato and add to the bowl; mix well to make a slaw and set aside.
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl and smash with a fork until there are no whole beans; stir in the egg white; add the green onions and spices and mix well.
- Heat a pan to medium-high heat; when pan is hot, add the oil; when oil is hot, drop tablespoon-sized, tightly packed patties of the chickpea mixture into the pan; do not overcrowd the pan.
- Brown one side of the patties, then flip and brown the other side.
- To assemble the pitas, place a few fritters inside each, then top with the cucumber slaw and garlicky yogurt sauce.
More summer recipe ideas
Grilling veggies for the summertime
SheKnows TV loves vegetables and they are even better grilled! Follow these directions to make grilled vegetable that the whole family will love!