Cat Cora's favorite easy, healthy dinner recipes
As a working mother of four boys, dinnertime can sometimes feel like an impossible task. In our house, I enlist help. Getting kids excited about food is a great way to teach them healthy eating habits from an early age, and the bonus is extra help in the kitchen!
By involving the boys in the mealtime process, not only are my planning, mixing, stirring, measuring (and sampling!) needs met, but I have the chance to teach them how food is prepared, why fresh ingredients are essential and what makes a meal nutritious. In an effort to get families cooking, I’ve created these recipes for my latest cookbook, "Classics With a Twist," for faster, healthier and fresher takes on classic dinners that your family will love.
Chicken stroganoff with tarragon and mustard recipe
For a healthier twist, try this chicken stroganoff with tarragon and mustard recipe. Chicken is a leaner protein than beef and using fresh herbs revs up the flavor while adding dimension to the dish. You also may substitute fresh thyme for the tarragon for a more subtle flavor.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup shallots, minced
- 1/4 cup Marsala
- 1/4 cup rich chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, minced
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch chunks, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add shallots and cook until golden.
- Turn the heat to medium-high, add the chicken pieces and cook until golden outside and almost cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken and add the shallots to a plate.
- Deglaze the pan by pouring in the Marsala and turning the heat up to high. Scrape the browned bits with a wooden spoon and boil until the liquid is reduced by half, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock, boil until the liquid looks syrupy, 2 minutes. Reduce the heat.
- Add the mustard and minced tarragon, simmer for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the sour cream until smooth. Turn heat to low.
- Add chicken and shallots to the pan, heat until warmed through. Serve over noodles or rice.