Low carb 4th of July recipes on the grill
Planning an Independence Day BBQ bash? Whether you’re firing up the grill oceanside or in your own backyard, the following 4th of July grilling recipes are delectably in line with your low carb lifestyle. Meaty burgers, succulent chicken breasts, and juicy pork tenderloin sizzle to such low carb perfection, your carb-eating guests won’t even miss the potato and pasta salads.
Grilled Blue Cheese Burgers
Serve these bold-flavored burgers with a side of olives or marinated artichoke hearts. If you're looking for low carb crunch, pair them with carrot and jicama sticks.
- 2 1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese, divided
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Bibb lettuce leaves
- 8 low carb hamburger buns
- Preheat grill to medium high heat
- Season ground beef with pepper. Divide into 8 pieces and roll into balls. Make a large dent in each ball with your thumb. Press 2 tablespoons of blue cheese into dent and close burger around it. Gently flatten beef into patties
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and lemon zest. Grill burgers for 8 to 10 minutes or until just cooked through. Transfer to a serving platter
- Serve burgers with lemon mayo, red onion slices, lettuce and buns
To make these the ultimate low carb burgers, wrap grilled burgers in lettuce leaves and forgo the buns.
Grilled Chicken with Chipotle Sauce
Pair this succulently spicy chicken with a spinach and feta salad lightly drizzled with a simple balsamic vinaigrette.
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1-1/2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for rubbing chicken
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Place almonds in skillet and toast, shaking skillet often, until fragrant (do not burn)
- Transfer almonds to a food processor and add tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, chipotle and cilantro
- Process until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. With processor running, drizzle in olive oil. Transfer to a bowl and set aside
- Preheat grill to medium. Rub chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes, covered, flipping chicken after 5 minutes. Chicken is done when cooked through and is no longer pink in the center
- Serve chicken topped off with chipotle sauce
Grilled Pork Tenderloin
Serve succulent slices of pork with grilled veggies and orange wedges.
- 2 (1-1/4 pounds each) pork tenderloins
- Juice and zest of 1 small orange
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Using a sharp knife, cut each tenderloin lengthwise to the center and open up like a book. Flatten each tenderloin to make them even thickness
- In a small bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients. Rub spice mixture on both sides of each tenderloin. Set aside
- Preheat grill to medium. Grill pork, covered, for 8 minutes, turning after 4 minutes. Pork is done when cooked through and no longer pink in the center. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil. Let rest for 5 minutes before slices and serving
If you have the time, let pork tenderloins marinate for a few hours in the refrigerator.