3. PROBLEM: You look tired
If you are constantly tired and you notice dark circles under your eyes, your diet might be leading to an iron deficiency. A healthy diet makes the body feel rejuvenated and energized.
Food fix: Pump (up) iron
The daily recommended iron intake is 18mg. Red meat is a high-iron food, but if you are not big on eating red meat, incorporating other foods, such as fish, eggs, and beans, into your diet will also increase your iron intake. Here’s a quick iron-rich recipe to try.
Honey-Soy Broiled Salmon
Serves 4 (161 calories)
1 scallion, minced
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 pound center-cut salmon fillet, skinned and cut into 4 portions
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
1. Whisk scallion, soy sauce, vinegar, honey and ginger in a medium bowl until the honey is dissolved.
2. Place salmon in a sealable plastic bag, add 3 tablespoons of the sauce and refrigerate; let marinate for 15 minutes. Reserve remaining sauce
3. Preheat broiler. Line a small baking pan with foil and coat with cooking spray
4. Transfer the salmon to the pan, skinned-side down. Discard the marinade. Broil the salmon 4 to 6 inches from the heat source until cooked through, 6 to 10 minutes
5. Drizzle with the reserved sauce and garnish with sesame seeds