The brisk chill in the air and a vibrant spectrum of rich red and orange trees are harbingers for the fall holidays. Whether you are entertaining for a costumed Halloween soiree or readying your Thanksgiving menu, these autumn-inspired cocktails are sure to warm the spirits of your holiday guests.
Fabulous fall cocktail recipes
When autumn’s cooler weather overtakes the sweltering days of summer, warmly spiced cocktails are just the thing to beat the season’s chill. The following fall cocktails are perfect to serve for
festive harvest parties, ghoulish Halloween get-togethers, or as preludes to a delicious Thanksgiving feast.
Sweet and Spicy Rum Punch
Serves a crowd
A festive fall gathering isn’t complete without drinks that mirror the season’s colors and flavors. This sweet and spicy autumn-hued punch is brimming with fall spices and some extra
heat to ward off the season’s cooling temps.
12 ounces cranberry juice
12 ounces 100 percent orange juice
24 ounces rum
2 tablespoons pureed fresh ginger
1 teaspoon seeds from a red Thai chile
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 to 4 cinnamon sticks
2 to 3 split Thai chilies
1. Combine all ingredients in a punch bowl a few hours before the party. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. Taste and add more spices, if desired. Add ice to the bowl and serve.
Spiced Red Wine
Wine cocktails have become popular alternatives to regular glasses of wine and liquor-based mixed drinks. This is a sophisticated, spicy sip that can be served as a blood-hued libation for
Halloween or an elegant drink for Thanksgiving.
1 bottle of red wine such as Cabernet or merlot
8 tablespoons brown sugar
1 orange peel
1 grapefruit peel
2 cinnamon sticks, plus 4 to garnish
1. Combine wine with sugar in a large pot over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved.
2. Add orange and grapefruit peels, cloves and cinnamon sticks. Heat for 20 minutes, but do not let wine boil.
3. Strain wine through a fine sieve and let cool. Serve garnished with cinnamon sticks.
Caramel Pumpkin Cheesecake Dessert Shots
Serves a small crowd
A decadent drink, this luscious sweet cocktail was created by the ubiquitous celebrity chef Jon Ashton, food correspondent for The Daily Buzz and in-house chef for Relish
magazine. Exuding pumpkin, caramel and vanilla flavors, this is more an autumn dessert than drink.
1 (14-ounce) can of pure pumpkin, chilled
3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
6 ounces low-fat vanilla yogurt
1 cup low-fat milk
1/4 cup Van Gogh Dutch Caramel Vodka
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Graham cracker crumbs, optional
1. Place all ingredients except graham cracker crumbs in a blender and blend until silky.
2. Pour into large shot glasses and top each serving with a teaspoon of graham cracker crumbs.
Blazing Kahlua Tequila Shot
A popular cocktail for Halloween festivities, this is a serious cocktail that needs to be made in plain view of your party guests. Have them stand back as you fire it up.
1/3 ounce Kahlua
1/3 ounce Baileys Irish Cream
1/3 ounce 1800 Select Silver Tequila
Cinnamon for sprinkling
1. Carefully layer this shot with Kahlua on the bottom, Bailey’s in the middle and the 1800 Select Silver Tequila on the top.
2. Light the tequila on fire and let burn for 15 seconds. Blow out the flame, and sprinkle with cinnamon to serve.
Leave a Comment