Corn is most commonly used in savory dishes, but this naturally sweet veggie can also star in delectably unique desserts. Not only does corn’s flavor add a fresh sweetness to desserts, its nibbly texture can make puddings, panna cotta, pies, and even cupcakes become attention getters.
Dessert recipes with sweet
Sweet Corn Panna Cotta
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Corn kernels shaved right off the cob give this creamy, dreamy dessert a fresh corn-sweet flavor. No ears of corn? Simply substitute 1 cup of frozen corn kernels, thawed.
1 large ear of sweet corn, husked, kernels removed
4-1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
1 (.25-ounce)package unflavored gelatin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
1. Combine corn with 3-1/2 cups of cream in a saucepot and heat until it simmers. Take pot off of heat and let it sit for 30 minutes.
2. When corn mixture is cooled, puree in a blender. Strain puree back into pot.
3. Pour 1 cup of cream in a saucepan and sprinkle gelatin over it. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Heat mixture over medium heat until gelatin dissolves.
4. Add vanilla, sugar, and gelatin mixture to corn puree. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves then strain again.
5. Pour mixture into 4 to 6 ramekins or custard cups. Chill for 4 to 6 hours. Serve with berries or whipped cream.
Makes 8 servings
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1 (15.25-ounce) can whole kernel corn
2 (14.75-ounce) cans cream-style corn
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. Beat eggs with butter, sugar, and milk. Whisk in cornstarch.
3. Gently stir in corn kernels and cream-style corn. Pour mixture into prepared dish and bake for 1 hour. Let cool before serving.
Sweet Corn Cupcakes
Makes 12 servings
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup sour cream
1-1/2 cups corn kernels
1-1/4 cups cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
16 ounces powdered sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
3 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars. Beat egg into mixture until well combined.
3. In a small food processor, blend sour cream with 3/4 cup corn until smooth.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Gradually beat flour mixture into butter mixture, alternating with corn puree. Stir in the rest of the corn.
5. Pour batter into cupcake tin and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Remove cupcakes from oven and let cool before frosting.
6. To make frosting, beat sugar, butter, milk and vanilla until smooth. When cupcakes are cooled, slather with frosting.
More tasty corn recipes
- Creamy Corn Casserole
- Corn and Bacon Muffins
- Creamed Corn and Cheese