Despite what you may think, starting your day with an organic breakfast couldn’t be easier. Fruit, yogurt, bread, cereal, eggs, breakfast meat and pancake mix are just a few of the many mouthwatering morning meal components available as organics. If you are new to an organic diet, you’ll be deliciously surprised that you can still enjoy all your favorite breakfast dishes and may even be inspired to create your own selection of healthy, satisfying morning meals. Here are four easy organic breakfast ideas to get you started.
Organic Banana Spice Bread
Makes 1 loaf
Five-spice powder is the secret ingredient in this scrumptious breakfast bread. Serve a warm buttered slice with organic fruit and yogurt or with an organic egg cooked over easy.
1/2 cup (1 stick) organic unsalted butter
1/2 cup firmly packed organic brown sugar
2 organic eggs
4 small ripe organic bananas, mashed
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon hot water
1 cup organic all-purpose flour
1 cup organic whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons five-spice powder (or ground cinnamon)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup of chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a standard-sized loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add mashed bananas and mix until well combined. In a small cup, dissolve baking soda with hot water. Stir baking soda
solution into banana mixture.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flours, five-spice powder, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to banana mixture, mixing until just moist. Stir in pecans.
3. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pan and serve
warm, or toast in a buttered skillet.
Organic Yogurt Cheese and Fresh Organic Berries
Serves 4 to 6
Thick, rich and creamy, organic yogurt cheese is a healthy complement for juicy, sweet fruit. The combination of yogurt and fruit provides protein, probiotics, antioxidants and fiber while the
generous sprinkle of ground flax adds a nutty dose of omega-3s. For a change, wrap yogurt cheese and fruit in thin organic crepes.
1 (32-ounce) container organic whole-milk plain yogurt (gelatin-free)
2 tablespoons organic agave nectar or honey
3 cups organic fresh berries or other fruit (cut into bite-sized pieces)
2 tablespoons organic ground flax
1. To make yogurt cheese, line a colander with cheesecloth and add yogurt. Place colander over a bowl and allow to drain overnight. The yogurt will thicken as the whey drains
into the bowl. (Use the whey in smoothies or stir into oatmeal for extra protein.)
2. Transfer yogurt cheese to a mixing bowl and stir in agave or honey. Divide among 4 to 6 bowls and top with fruit. Sprinkle with ground flax and serve.
Organic Breakfast Burrito
Organic eggs, sausage and finely
chopped veggies nestled in a whole-grain wrap give the morning a filling, flavorful start. Keep this dish interesting by changing up the veggies, cheese or type of tortilla. These burritos are easy
to make and can be wrapped in plastic or foil for a delectably balanced on-the-go breakfast.
1 tablespoon organic olive oil
1/2 cup diced organic onion
1/2 cup diced organic red or orange bell pepper
1-1/2 cups diced organic turkey sausage (fully cooked)
Juice of 1 small lime
2 tablespoons finely chopped organic parsley or cilantro
4 organic eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup shredded organic pepper jack cheese (or your favorite cheese)
4 (8-inch) organic whole-grain tortillas
Your favorite organic salsa
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes or until veggies are tender. Add sausage and cook 1 minute or
until heated through. Stir in lime juice and parsley or cilantro and remove from heat. Transfer vegetable mixture to a plate and keep warm.
2. In the same skillet over medium heat, add eggs. Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggs are cooked through. Stir in vegetable mixture. Add cheese and cover skillet. Remove from heat and allow
cheese to melt.
3. Divide egg mixture among tortillas. Add salsa to taste and wrap tortillas around filling burrito-style. Serve immediately or allow to cool and wrap in plastic or foil to go.
Organic Pumpkin Pancakes
Serves 4 to 6
The spicy aroma, tender texture and
welcome pumpkin flavor of a steamy stack of these organic pancakes will have the family excited to sit down to the breakfast table. Serve with organic yogurt cheese, maple syrup, fruit and nuts. An
organic pancake or waffle mix makes this breakfast quick to fix.
1-1/2 cups organic pancake and waffle mix
1 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated organic nutmeg
1 large organic egg
3 tablespoons organic brown sugar
1 tablespoon organic vegetable oil
3/4 cup canned or pureed organic pumpkin
1/2 to 3/4 cup organic milk
1. Preheat a nonstick griddle to medium-high heat.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the mix, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a second bowl, whisk together egg and brown sugar. Add oil, pumpkin and 1/2 cup milk, mixing until well combined. Add a
bit more milk if you want a thinner consistency. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring until well combined.
3. Pour 1/4-cup amounts of batter onto hot griddle. Cook until bubbles form and burst on top of pancakes and edges are set; the bottom should be golden brown. Flip and cook until second side is
golden brown. Transfer to a plate and keep warm until ready to serve.
Leave a Comment