4th of July: Independence Day desserts
If you are planning a 4th of July BBQ and want to dazzle your guests with an impressive Independence Day finale, put together a delicious red, white and blue dessert.
Independence Day dessert recipes
Red, White, & Blue Trifle
Makes 8 servings
8-ounces vanilla yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8-ounces whipped topping, thawed
4 cups fresh blueberries
4 cups fresh raspberries and/or halved fresh strawberries
1. Combine yogurt with vanilla in a bowl. Gently fold in whipped topping.
2. Spoon 2 cups blueberries into a clear glass bowl. Top with 1/3 of the yogurt mixture then 2 cups raspberries or strawberries.
3. Top with another 1/3 of the yogurt mixture then the remaining blueberries and remaining yogurt mixture.
4. Top dessert with the rest of the raspberries or strawberries and serve.
Wave Your Flag Cake
Makes 18 servings
Recipe adapted from KraftFoods.com
1-1/2 cups boiling water
6 ounces Jell-O Gelatin, any red flavor
1 cup cold water
1 pound cake, cut into 10 slices
4 cups fresh strawberries, divided
1-1/3 cups blueberries, divided
1 (8-ounce) container Cool Whip Whipped Topping, thawed
1. Combine boiling water with Jell-O in a large measuring cup and mix for 2 minutes or until fully dissolved.
2. Pour in cold water and ice cubes and stir until ice cubes are melted and liquid measurement is 2 cups.
3. Chill mixture for 5 minutes or until it begins to thicken.
4. Meanwhile, place cubed pound cake on the bottom of a 13x9-inch glass dish.
5. Mix 1 cup sliced strawberries and 1 cup blueberries into gelatin mixture and spoon over cake slices.
6. Chill cake for 4 hours or until gelatin is firm. Remove cake from refrigerator and spread Cool Whip onto gelatin.
7. Place the remaining strawberries, sliced in half, onto Cool Whip as the stripes of the flag and place blueberries on Cool Whip as stars. Chill until ready to serve.
Red, White, & Blueberry Pie
Makes 8 servings
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, divided
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
2 cups whipped cream
2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 cups fresh blueberries
1. Combine graham cracker crumbs with 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup sugar. Pat mixture into the bottom of sides of a pie plate.
2. Combine chocolate chips, 1 tablespoon butter, and cream cheese in a saucepan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring, until mixture is melted and smooth. Take pot off of heat and stir in powdered sugar.
3. Spoon mixture into pie plate and top with whipped cream. Place strawberries and blueberries in a decorative pattern on top of whipped cream. Chill until ready to serve.