Grapefruit cupcakes with cream cheese frosting
Makes 16 cupcakes
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 eggs, separated3 tablespoons plus 3 teaspoons fresh grapefruit juice, divided
- 3 teaspoons freshly grated grapefruit zest, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 16 pieces candied grapefruit
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium-sized bowl. In a large bowl, beat oil with water, egg yolks, 3 tablespoons grapefruit juice, and 2 teaspoons zest. Gradually beat in flour mixture until smooth.
- In a second large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Beat in 1 teaspoon grapefruit juice. Gently fold egg whites into batter until well combined.
- Pour batter into cupcake pan. If you have leftover batter, bake it in a separate pan or bake when the first batch is finished. Bake cupcakes for 16 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, beat cream cheese, 2 teaspoons grapefruit juice, 1 teaspoon zest, and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy. When cupcakes are fully cooled, spread frosting on top. Garnish with candied grapefruits.