Grilled Veggie Sandwich with Pesto and Fresh Mozzarella
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts or walnuts, toasted and cooled
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil plus more for grilling
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small eggplant, thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini or yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 2 pieces of focaccia bread, sliced open
- 6 to 8 slices fresh mozzarella
- Combine basil, pine nuts, garlic and cheese in a blender or food processor. Blend until finely chopped then begin streaming in oil until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to a medium flame. Brush vegetables with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place vegetables on grill and cook about 3 or 4 minutes per side or until tender. Brush olive oil on cut sides of bread and grill until just heated through and slightly crispy.
- Spread pesto cut side of each piece of bread then top with grilled vegetables, 3 to 4 cheese slices and more pesto, if desired.
- Place top piece of bread on sandwich and grill until cheese has melted.