Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
Makes 6 servings
- 12 beef short ribs, bone-in
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 bottle red wine
- 6 cups low sodium beef stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Season ribs on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large oven-proof pot over high heat and sear short ribs on all sides until lightly browned. Transfer ribs to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add onions, celery and carrots to the pot and cook until browned. Strain any excess liquid out of the pan and add the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan to release any browned bits. Cook for about 15 minutes or until wine has reduced and thickened.
- Place ribs back into pot and add the stock and enough water to cover the ribs and bring to a boil. Remove the pot from the heat, cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Cook about 2 to 3 hours or until the ribs are tender and falling off the bone.
- Remove ribs from oven and let them cool. The chill them overnight. When ready to serve, remove any excess fat from the pot and heat over medium heat for 1 hour of until the sauce has reduced and the ribs are glazed.