In season Meyer lemons are slightly different then regular lemons, presenting an edible peel and a sweeter flavor. These sweet tart citrus fruits are perfect for desserts, stuffing for chicken, or making simple sweet Meyer lemonade. Here are the top 20 uses for Meyer lemons and a few Meyer lemon recipes.
Top 20 uses for Meyer lemons
Meyer lemons have near unlimited uses. They can be enjoyed just about anyway a regular lemon can be, but since they are a bit sweeter and the peel is thinner and more delicate, they have even more cooking applications. Try these:
- Add Meyer lemon juice to risotto and top with the zest.
- Make finger sandwiches with layers of thinly sliced Meyer lemon, smoked salmon and dill with a light spread of cream cheese.
- Squeeze lemons to make Meyer lemonade.
- Bake a Meyer lemon pound cake topped with Meyer lemon ice cream.
- Use Meyer lemon juice in sauces such as aioli, homemade mayonnaise or hollandaise.
- Make a vinaigrette with olive oil and Meyer lemon juice and zest for pasta salad, coleslaw or a light summer salad.
- Infuse olive oil with Meyer lemon juice and use for dipping bread in.
- Place thin slices of Meyer lemon underneath the skin of chicken breasts and roast in the oven.
- Make a Meyer lemon martini or make your own homemade infused vodka
- Make a Meyer lemon meringue pie.
- Chocolate Meyer lemon pudding is a terrific treat.
- Squeeze Meyer lemon juice over fish after it is cooked to bring out the flavor.
- Cook a Duck a la Lemon instead of Duck a la Orange.
- Add Meyer lemon zest to tapenades and spread on bread or crackers.
- Roast vegetables in olive oil and drizzle with Meyer lemon juice just before serving.
- Add a sprinkle of Meyer lemon juice to hot chocolate or warm tea.
- Candy the Meyer lemon peel and munch on them when you need a sweet treat and a breath freshener.
- Grate Meyer lemon zest over a creamy pasta dish such as Fettuccini Alfredo.
- Roast potatoes with thick Meyer lemon wedges on top.
- Prepare a Meyer lemon icebox cake or Meyer lemon ricotta cheesecake.