Looking for a delectable – allergy-free – alternative to peanut butter? Almond butter is not only a delicious grab for people with peanut allergies, it is also a rich, thick spread for those who are craving ways to lower cholesterol as well as their intake of saturated fat. Best yet, almond butter can replace peanut butter in both sweet and savory recipes, giving you a delectable array of new dishes to serve for your family. Here are some scrumptiously creative almond butter recipes.
Almond butter: The better butter
It isn’t often that I find a product that is so superior to its ilk that I am compelled to rave about it in an article. But I can’t help but give high accolades to a new almond butter that originated in Fresno, California, made with toasted California almonds and will soon be available nationwide.
Barney Butter is a superlative almond butter – in both smooth and crunchy styles – that tastes like almond butter should taste. The smooth is a creamy, grainy-free spread that doesn’t separate nor needs stirring or refrigeration. The crunchy is deliciously laden with coarsely chopped almonds that make you take notice of their taste.
Almond butter is ultra versatile
Of course, there are other almond butters available in supermarkets and health food stores – and in some locations, you can even fresh grind your own almond butter – so if Barney Butter isn’t available in your locale, take advantage of the brands that are. And regardless of the brand you choose, don’t simply relegate it to lunchtime AB&J sandwiches (almond butter and jelly) or satisfying breakfast smoothies. Almond butter can be used in savory dishes as well as desserts.
Here are a few simple almond butter ideas:
- Stir into hot cereal to add protein and healthy fat
- Puree with ricotta for a luscious dip for apple and pear slices
- Substitute almond butter for tahini in hummus
- Replace peanut butter with almond butter in cookies
- Add to cheesecake batter for an awesome almond butter cheesecake
- Make almond sauce instead of peanut sauce for satays or other skewered foods
- Stir almond butter into stews for a rich thickness
- Spread almond butter on toast and top with bananas
- Make an almond butter wrap filled with cucumber, red onion and sprouts
- Stuff thick slices of bread with almond butter and cherry preserves for French toast
- Simply replace peanut butter with almond butter in any recipe for a healthier, almond-delicious treat