Fresh fruit salads are more than just a cool summer treat. Winter fruits, such as apples, pomegranates, pears, blood oranges, grapefruits and persimmons, can make a sweet and light breakfast, snack or dessert.
This delicious medley of fresh winter fruit salads will help keep those cool-weather days bright.
Just because the weather’s turned cold doesn’t mean you should skip your daily doses of vitamins A, C and E. While fruit salad is traditionally associated with summer picnics by the lake, these three salads, featuring fruits available during the winter, will give you that extra boost you need on a dreary day.
Simple winter fruit salad recipe
- 4 oranges (any kind), peeled, white pith removed, sectioned
- 3 grapefruits (pink or white), peeled, white pith removed, sectioned
- 1 pineapple, peeled, quartered, cored, sliced
- 2 star fruit, sliced
- 1 pomegranate, cut in half and seeds removed
- Combine all fruit in a large bowl and gently toss.
- Top with yogurt or whipped cream if desired.
Vanilla bean winter fruit salad recipe
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 star anise
- 1/2 plump vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
- 4 (2 inch) pieces lemon zest
- 8 dried apricots, cut in half
- 4 dried figs, quartered
- 3 pears, peeled, cored, sliced
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Seeds from half a pomegranate
- Add water, sugar, star anise, vanilla bean and lemon zest to a medium-sized saucepot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Continuing boiling until all the sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- Let it cool a few minutes and stir in apricots and figs before allowing to fully cool.
- Toss apples and pears with lemon juice.
- Pour the syrupy dried fruit mixture over the apples and pears.
- Cover well and chill overnight.
- When you’re ready to serve, using a slotted spoon, ladle the fruit into a bowl and top with pomegranate seeds.
Lemon poppy seed winter fruit salad recipe
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons diced onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, diced
- 1 pear, peeled, cored, sliced
- To create the dressing, combine sugar, lemon juice, onion, mustard and salt in a blender or food processor. While blending, slowly drizzle in oil until fully combined. Add poppy seeds and pulse a few times.
- Combine lettuce, cheese, cashews, cranberries, apples and pears in a large bowl and drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss and serve.