Vegetarian pot pie
Pot pies are great comfort food and perfect for wintertime. If you are looking for a vegetarian version of the traditional pot pie, this one is very delicious. Using red-skinned potatoes and broccoli, this pot pie is hearty.
This fantastic winter recipe will warm you up and satisfy. Plus, it's vegetarian too. This vegetarian pot pie recipe is from THE COMPLETE BOOK OF PIES by Julie Hasson (Robert Rose, Inc.; October 2008; $24.95/trade paperback).
- 5 small red-skinned potatoes (about 1 pound/500 g)
- 1 bag (10 ounces/300 g) frozen broccoli florets, thawed, chopped if large (about 3 cups/750 mL)
- 2 cups (500 mL) refrigerated or frozen vegetarian chicken-style strips, thawed (and cooked if necessary) (see Tips, below) or an additional 2 cups (500 mL) vegetables or seitan
- 3?4 cup (175 mL) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 recipe Vegetarian Gravy (see recipe, page 176 or try this gravy recipe)
- 1 teaspoon (15 mL) dry sherry, optional
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1?2 teaspoon (2 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1?2 teaspoon (2 mL) dried sage, crumbled
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 recipe Buttermilk Biscuit Crust made with 1-1?4 cups (300 mL) buttermilk
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°F). Grease a 12-inch (30 cm) cast-iron skillet or 10-inch (25 cm) deep-dish glass or ceramic plate.
In a large pot of boiling water, cook potatoes for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain and let cool to the touch. Peel potatoes and cut into pieces.
In a large bowl, combine potatoes, broccoli, vegetarian chicken, peas, and hot gravy. Add sherry, garlic, thyme, sage, and salt and pepper to taste. You want the mixture to be hot. If it's not, heat in microwave oven for 2 minutes or until hot to the touch.
Scoop vegetable mixture into skillet or dish, smoothing top. Drop scoops of biscuit dough over filling, covering pie (it's okay if not every spot of filling is covered). Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until biscuit topping is golden brown and cooked through.
Tips: It's important to make sure that the filling is hot when assembling the pot pie, because otherwise the biscuit topping tends to be a little raw underneath. Vegetarian chicken-style strips are often found in the freezer section or in the produce section with the veggie burgers.
Variation: Substitute a pastry or puff pastry crust for the biscuit dough.