Meatballs and tomato gravy recipe
For the tomato gravy
- 1 (24-ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
For the meatballs
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Hot cooked pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Preparation and freezing directions:
- For tomato gravy, in a large straight-side skillet, combine marinara, wine, broth, oregano and garlic. Simmer, uncovered, on low to medium heat while you prepare meatballs.
- For meatballs, in a large bowl, combine bread crumbs and milk and soak for 5 minutes. Add ground beef, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, mixing well. Wet your hands to keep mixture from sticking to them and roll into 1-1/2-inch meatballs (you should have about 30).
- Raise heat under sauce to medium. When sauce is almost boiling, carefully drop meatballs into sauce. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove lid. Simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Serve over hot cooked pasta or prepare to freeze. If freezing, cool for 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to freezer container and cover loosely with aluminum foil. Cool completely in refrigerator. Once cool, remove foil and cover tightly with lid. Label and freeze.
Thawing and reheating directions:
- Thaw meatballs completely in refrigerator.
- Transfer to a large skillet and bring to a boil. If necessary, thin sauce with beef broth.
- Serve with hot cooked pasta. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, if using.