Lentils are delicious, nutritious and easy to prepare. If you are looking for a delicious homemade meal, try this recipe for lentil chickpea soup. Serve it hot with a crusty bread on a cold fall evening.
Lentil chickpea soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 3 carrots (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups lentils
- 8 cups water
- 2 large tomatoes (diced)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and carrots and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add seasonings and lentils, along with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender (approximately 20-30 minutes).
- Add tomatoes and drained chickpeas, then simmer 5 additional minutes.
- Serve hot with a crusty bread.
The lentil is a cousin of the bean and part of the legume family. It is one of the first agricultural crops to be grown more than 8,500 years ago. The lentil was initially cultivated in the Middle East and then it spread to the Mediterranean, Asia, Europe and finally the Americas.
Due to its ability to thrive in limited rainfall areas of the world, the lentil is consumed in almost every culture and yet it has received little research attention to increase its yield and quality. Lentils come in many different colors with red, brown and green being the most popular.
Lentil nutritional value
Lentils contain an unusually high amount of protein – the highest content of any vegetable except soy beans. In addition to this, lentils also contain a high proportion of fiber as well as Vitamin B while at the same time containing no fat. For this reason, lentils are considered an ideal food source for anyone on a rigorous workout schedule. Lentils are also rich in folic acid.
Lentil have a short cooking time and a very unique flavor. Due to the ease of cultivation, lentils are also very inexpensive. Lentil soup is a popular recipe in the Middle East, Europe and South America, where it is sometimes combined with either chicken or pork. They can also be cooked along with rice.
Lentils are very simple to prepare. First, sort and remove any debris. Continue by rinsing and then boiling them for about 20 minutes. One of the best things about lentils is that they store almost indefinitely. Keep lentils in a cool, dry place, and while the color may fade slightly, the taste will not change.