Football game snack recipes
Football season has begun. And so has the ritual of getting together for weekend or Monday night games. Instead of ordering delivery pizza or munching on chips and dip, prepare some delicious snacks that will keep your hungry football fans well-fueled to cheer on their favorite team.
Spicy Vegetarian Chili
Makes 8 servings
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chipotles in adobo sauce*
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups canned red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 1/2 cups canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, saute onions, carrots, celery, peppers and garlic in olive oil until soft, about 10 minutes. Mix chipotles and spices into vegetables.
- Mix in tomatoes and water and simmer over low for 45 minutes. Mix in beans and simmer another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Have a toppings bar set up for your guests with cheddar cheese, tortilla strips, green onions, sour cream and crispy bacon pieces. Let guests serve themselves.
Chipotle chilis in adobo sauce can be found in the Hispanic foods section of most supermarkets. They come in a small can. Freeze the extra in an ice cube tray and drop into your next round of chili or other recipes that need a smoky pepper flavor.
Reuben Sandwich Dip
Makes 9 servings
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 16 ounces sauerkraut, rinsed, squeezed dry
- 8 ounces shredded corned beef
- 16 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together mayonnaise and dressing.
- Spoon sauerkraut into a baking dish. Top with corned beef, Swiss cheese, and mayonnaise mixture.
- Bake in oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve dip with rye bread pieces and fresh veggies.
Deli Sandwich Ring
Makes 8 servings
- 2 refrigerated tubes French bread dough
- 1/2 pound bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 pound deli turkey, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound deli ham, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place bread dough, seam side up, in a cooking spray coated circular Bundt pan, pressing edges together to form ring. Spray dough with additional cooking spray. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until cooked through and crust is crispy. Remove bread from pan and let cool.
- Mix bacon and green onions with mayonnaise. Slice bread into two halves, making a bottom and a top. Spread half the mayonnaise on bottom half of bread and half on the top. Layer bottom with turkey, ham and cheese. Move to a baking sheet and bake until cheese melts, about 10 minutes.
- Top sandwich with tomatoes, lettuce and the top half of the bread. Cut into pieces and serve.