Eggs-citing deviled eggs recipes
Deviled eggs are a quintessential standby for picnics and cookouts, so why not update the classic appetizer with novel tasty ingredients? Instead of your usual mayonnaise and egg yolk filling, dress up your deviled eggs with a variety of meats, cheese, and herbs.
Deviled Eggs Recipes
Shrimp and Olive Deviled EggsMakes 8 servings
8 hard-cooked eggs, peeled, halved lengthwise
1/2 cup cooked, peeled and chopped shrimp
3 tablespoons chopped pimento-stuffed olives
2 teaspoons minced onion
1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup mayonnaise
16 thin 1-inch strips roasted red bell pepper or pimento
1. Spoon yolks out of eggs. Slice a thin sliver from bottom of each egg white to keep them from rolling.
2. Combine 4 whole egg yolks, shrimp, olives, onions, parsley, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, salt, and oil in a bowl and mash together. Spoon the shrimp mixture into each of the whites.
3. Whisk together the mayonnaise with the remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Top each egg with a dollop of mayonnaise mixture. Grate the remaining yolks over the mayonnaise and lay a strip of red pepper on each egg. Serve eggs and cherry tomatoes on a platter lined with lettuce.
Blue Cheese, Bacon, and Herbed Deviled EggsMakes 12 servings
6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled, halved lengthwise
1/4 cup crumbed blue cheese
4 strips pre-cooked bacon, warmed, crumbled
1 garlic clove, minced
3 tablespoons sour cream
1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/8 teaspoon dried tarragon
Dash cayenne pepper
1. Spoon yolks into a large bowl. Slice a thin sliver from bottom of each egg white to keep them from rolling.
2. Add blue cheese, bacon, garlic, sour cream, chives, marjoram, tarragon, and pepper to the bowl with the yolks and mash together. Spoon or pipe mixture into egg whites and serve.
Pecan Deviled EggsMakes 12 servings
6 hard-cooked eggs, halved lengthwise
2 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon minced parsley sprigs
12 pecan halves
Fresh parsley sprigs
1. Spoon yolks out of eggs into a large bowl. Slice a thin sliver from bottom of each egg white to keep them from rolling.
2. Mash eggs together with mayonnaise, chopped pecans, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, and minced parsley.
3. Spoon or pipe mixture into egg whites and top with a pecan half and parsley sprig.