Nectarine recipes for any meal
Nectarines are terrific for a snack or dessert, but they also can be used to create a variety of other recipes from breakfast to dinner. Here are a few of fantastic nectarine recipes that you will really love.
Nectarine bran muffinsMakes 12 servings
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup all-bran cereal
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup fresh California nectarines, chopped (about 1-1/2 nectarines)
DirectionsCombine cereal and orange juice; let stand several minutes for bran to absorb juice. In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Stir egg and oil into bran until well mixed. Add bran mixture and chopped nectarines to dry ingredients; stir only until dry ingredients are moistened. (Batter will be thick and lumpy.)
Spoon batter into 12 greased 2-1/2 inch muffin cups. Bake in 400 degrees F oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and serve hot.
Moroccan chicken naaniniMakes 4 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Chill time: 2 Hour marinate
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup harissa paste
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 naan bread, halved
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 4 large roasted red bell pepper strips
- 2 cup peeled, chopped ripe California nectarines (2-3 nectarines)
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon each: cinnamon and ground allspice
DirectionsPlace chicken breasts between plastic wrap and pound to flatten. Add harissa paste, lime juice and salt in a large resealable plastic bag. Knead bag to mix, then add chicken.
Seal bag, then turn several times until well coated with mixture. Refrigerate for 2 hours to marinate. Meanwhile, stir together chutney ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more to cook off excess liquid. (Chutney may be made several days ahead and stored tightly covered in the refrigerator.)
Cook chicken over medium-hot grill for about 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Place cooked chicken on half of the bread pieces. Spread on chutney and top with pepper strip and remaining bread. Brush both sides lightly with oil and place on grill over medium heat.
Press down to flatten slightly with a panini press or foil-covered brick, and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve with additional chutney, if desired.
Perfect cheeses to pair with nectarines
- Brin D'Amour (from Corsica, soft, aromatic, encrusted with herbs)
- Pecorino Toscano (nutty, salty, sheep's milk cheese)
- Muenster (full-flavored, creamy aged cow's milk cheese)
- Roncal (Spanish cheese, nutty, full flavor, melts in the mouth)
- Traditional Farmhouse Cheeses (from British Isles, fine-quality cheddar)
- Vermont Shepherd Cheese (buttery, nutty, sheep's milk cheese)
Serve nectarine slices and any combination of the above cheeses with crackers for an easy and delicious appetizer.
Photos and recipes: Copyright courtesy of California Tree Fruit Agreement.