Grill the perfect steak and Mexican-Style Steak recipe
There are few better hallmarks of summer than sitting in the backyard enjoying a juicy perfectly grilled steak. If you find that getting those distinctive grill marks and tender juicy centers are a challenge, simply follow these eight easy steps and sink your teeth into a great steak.
8 Tips to Grill a Great Steak
1. Use the freshest beef possibleAsk your butcher for the most recent beef and only use meat that has been refrigerated for no longer than three days. And for best results, avoid frozen beef.
2. Clean the grillBe sure to use clean grates before and after each use. Oil grates lightly before preheating, then heat your grill with lid closed at least 10 minutes before grilling.
3. Trim the meatCut off any extra fat from the steak then season simply with coarse salt and fresh ground pepper.
4. Keep lid closedAlways keep lid closed while grilling and move steak as little as possible.
5. Make your markFor steakhouse grill marks, lay steak diagonally on the grates and grill for a couple of minutes. Then move steak diagonally the other way and grill for a couple of minutes. Flip steak and do the same on the opposite side.
6. Timing is everythingGrill a boneless steak that is 1- to 1 1/2-inches thick for about 3 minutes per side for rare. For bone-in steak, cook about 4 minutes per side for rare. Add 1 minute per side for medium-rare and 6 minutes per side for medium-well.
7. Do not fork the steakWhen moving steak, never use a fork to stab it. Always use soft-tipped tongs so you do not puncture the skin and lose the steak's vital juices.
8. Watch the temperatureIf using a meat thermometer, stick it in the thickest part of the steak (use only one place to avoid losing juices). It should read 145 degrees F. for rare, 160 degrees F. for medium rare, and 165 degrees F. for medium-well.
Grilled Steak Recipe
Mexican-Style SteakMakes 4 servings
2 cups water
1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
1 (16-ounce) can refried beans
Salt to taste
Garlic powder to taste
2 small onions, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 beef steaks, trimmed
2 avocados, peeled, pitted, sliced
1. Lightly oil grill grate and preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. In a medium-sized pot over high heat, bring water to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer with lid on for 20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
3. In a second pot over medium heat, stir together beans, salt, and garlic powder. Cook, stirring often, until heated through.
4. In a medium-sized nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, saute onions in oil until golden.
5. Grill steaks as directed above (follow the tips). When ready to serve, spread beans on top of steaks and top with onions and avocados. Serve over rice.
Grilled Flank Steak with Cumin Aioli
Grilled Skirt Steak with Avocado Corn Salad
Ask ChefMom: How do I grill a well-done steak?