In the summer, you can create healthy, light meals and desserts using fresh produce. Here we have a recipe for delicious turkey lettuce cups, which uses fresh plums and other healthy ingredients.
Tarragon turkey salad lettuce cups
with plums and toasted almonds
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 12 oz. extra thick, deli-sliced, low-sodium oven-roasted turkey breast, diced
- 2 fresh California plums, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- sea salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 12 butter lettuce leaves
Stir together all ingredients except almonds and lettuce in a medium bowl.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Stir in almonds just before serving.
Spoon about 1/4 cup mixture into each lettuce leaf.
Makes 4 servings
This refreshing peach smoothie is a sweet treat your whole family will love.
Peach pie smoothie
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 2 fresh California peaches, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 vanilla wafer cookies, crumbled
Puree all ingredients except cookies in a blender until smooth.
Pour into 2 chilled glasses and top with cookie crumbles.
Makes 2 servings
Recipes created by Registered Dietitian Jackie Newgent on behalf of California’s peach, plum and nectarine growers.
Jackie also provides this fabulous recipe for Mini Vanilla-Almond Peach Cupcakes with Fresh Peach Frosting. Watch the video to see how to make them.