Your children will love to help make these scrumptious pancakes. By using organic milk, this fun pancake recipe for kids is not only nutritious but also delicious.
Borden dairy brand is debuting the Perfect Pour Bottle, a new ergonomically designed 96 fluid oz. jug available in Texas only. Borden’s organic milk line will showcase this uniquely shaped bottle, developed by specialists who took in to account everything from kid-sized hands to Mom’s jewelry, topping it off is a no-slip grip to help kids and parents handle with ease.
To celebrate the first-ever kid-friendly milk jug for Texas, Borden is partnering with Austin native Barbara Beery, cookbook author and founder of Batter Up Kids Culinary Center.
To help get kids started, Beery offers these fun recipes using fresh ingredients and Borden Organic Milk.
Puff the magic pancakes
Makes: 4 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20-24 minutes
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup Borden Organic 1% low fat milk (Borden Organic Whole, 2% Reduced Fat or Fat Free Milk may be substituted)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (freshly grated is best)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Garnish: 2 teaspoons powdered sugar, honey or syrup, seasonal fresh fruits
Let’s get baking!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray 4 custard cups with nonstick cooking spray and put them on a 9 x 13 inch cookie sheet. Place 1 teaspoon butter in the bottom of each custard cup and place in oven 5-6 minutes to melt butter to sizzling point while preparing pancake batter.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together Borden Organic 1% low fat milk, eggs and vanilla. Add flour, salt and nutmeg, whisking to blend into a smooth batter.
- Carefully remove cookie sheet pan from oven. Ladle equal amounts of pancake batter into each of the 4 cups. Return to oven and bake 15 -18 minutes. You will be amazed to see how these pancakes magically puff while baking!
- Remove cookie sheet from oven and remove cups from pan. Be careful: these are very hot.
- Garnish pancakes by sprinkling each with 1/2 teaspoon powdered sugar, a drizzle of honey or syrup, and plenty of fresh seasonal fruits.
Kid-friendly kitchen tip
Garnish and serve ASAP as these puff pancakes sink down quickly in the center after being removed from the oven. The good news is that this sunken hole is just the perfect spot to spoon on fruits and syrup … Sweet!
Another terrific recipe is this delicious, healthy smoothie that your kids will love. It’s easy to make and yummy!
Under a blue moon smoothie
Makes: 4 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries, frozen
- 1 cup chilled apple juice
- 1 container Borden Cherry Vanilla non fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup Borden Organic 1% Low Fat Milk (Borden Organic Whole, 2% Reduced Fat or Fat Free Milk may be substituted)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Garnish: fresh blueberries, assorted seasonal fruits, granola
Let’s get shaking!
- Place all ingredients in a blender, secure top, and blend.
- Serve immediately with your choice of garnish.
Kid-friendly kitchen tips
For really cool sipping, place serving glasses in the freezer up to 8 hours before using. When ready to serve, remove glasses from freezer and fill with milkshake.
Change the recipe by substituting frozen raspberries or peaches for blueberries and changing the flavor of yogurt flavor to Borden Strawberry Banana or Raspberry Non Fat Yogurts. Very cool!
Puff the Magic Pancake – Recipe adapted by Barbara Beery for Milk Products, LLC. From Sensational Snacks: Healthy Eats from the Premier Children’s Cooking School . Text copyright © 2005 by Barbara Beery. Photograph copyright © 2005 by Marty Snortum. Reprinted with permission of Gibbs Smith.
Under a Blue Moon Milkshake – Recipe adapted by Barbara Beery for Milk Products, LLC. From Mermaid Cookbook. Text copyright © 2008 by Barbara Beery. Photograph copyright © 2008 by Kirsten Shultz. Reprinted with permission of Gibbs Smith.
Recipes for kids