Healthy Cinco de Mayo recipes: Spanish Omelet and Corn Relish, Chili Tostada, Turkey Quesadilla, and Nachos
Celebrating Cinco de Mayo means eating mouthwatering Mexican food, partaking in Cinco de Mayo festivities, and celebrating Mexican culture. Chef Philip Andriano, Corporate Executive Chef of ChefsDiet.com wants you to eat healthy while you celebrate this Mexican holiday. Here are four of his highly recommended Mexican recipes. These recipes serve one to two people, but you can adjust the ingredients to feed more.
Chili TostadaServes 1
Ingredients for chili:
2 ounces ground beef
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon finely chopped peppers
1 teaspoon minced Spanish onion
1 teaspoon chili powder or to taste
2 ounces kidney beans or black beans
1 tablespoon tomato sauce
Shredded cheddar cheese
Ingredients for salsa:
1 teaspoon red onion
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1/8 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon finely chopped plum tomato
1 tablesoon finely chopped tomatillos
Salt and black pepper to taste
6 Corn Tortilla Chips
1. For chili, cook beef in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until the fat renders. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring, until onion softens. As the mixture begins to brown, add spices and canned tomato and mix well. Mix in beans and heat through.
2. For salsa, mix ingredients in a small bowl. To serve, arrange tortilla chips on a plate, top with chili, sprinkle with cheddar cheese and top with salsa.
Spanish Omelet with Mexican Corn RelishServes 1 to 2
Ingredients for omelet:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 ounce chopped onions
1 ounce chopped bell peppers
1 ounce chopped tomatoes
6 ounces egg whites
Ingredients for relish:
2 ounces canned or homemade black beans
2 ounces corn niblets (if canned, drained)
1 tablespoon minced red onion
1 ounce finely chopped tomatillo
Salt and black pepper to taste
Drizzle olive oil
1. Using a small nonstick sautÃ© pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, sautÃ© for a few minutes until they begin to brown. Add peppers and sautÃ© for a minute or two and then add tomato. Continue to sautÃ© mixture until the vegetables are tender.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until they are frothy. Pour frothy egg whites into the pan. As the egg begins to set, use a spatula to loosen the edges, flip omelet to cook the other side. Set aside and keep warm.
3. To make relish, combine all ingredients in a bowl. To serve, fold omelet and spoon relish over the omelet or on the plate.
Cinco de Mayo NachosServes 1
1 ounce corn chips
2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
5 tablespoons bean dip
1 tablespoon guacamole
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange the corn chips on a baking sheet. Divide bean dip by spooning evenly onto each chip. Follow by sprinkling with cheddar cheese. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve topped with guacamole dip and garnish with jalapeno.
Turkey QuesadillaServes 1
3 ounces turkey breast, diced
1 (6-inch) whole wheat tortilla or wrap
1 ounce shredded cheddar cheese
2 ounces salsa
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place turkey in wrap, top with cheddar cheese and fold. Place quesadilla on a baking sheet and bake in oven until cheese is melted and wrap is slightly toasted. Serve with salsa on the side.