Recipes for movie night munchies
A night out at the movies for a family or a couple can be quite costly. The bill quickly adds up with the tickets, popcorn, candy and sodas. Instead of spending a fortune at the theatre, create the movie atmosphere at home with dim lights, comfortable seating, and tasty movie munchies.
Recipes for Movie Night Munchies
Nacho PopcornMakes 16 servings
1/2 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup plain un-popped corn kernels
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Pop corn kernels in a large pot with a little olive oil or in an air popper. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine butter, pepper, cumin and paprika.
2. Put popped popcorn in a large bowl and toss with butter mixture. Top with Cheddar cheese and toss until melted.
Note: This may be a little spicy for children
Carmel PopcornMakes 16 servings
3/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons butter
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon corn syrup
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
16 cups popped popcorn, about 1/2 cup unpopped
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Put popcorn in a large bowl.
2. Melt butter in a medium saucepot. Mix in brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Stirring continually let mixture boil for 4 minutes. Take pot off of heat and mix in baking soda and vanilla. Pour mixture over popcorn, tossing to coat.
3. Spread popcorn in two large baking dishes. Bake in oven for 1 hour, tossing every 15 minutes. Take popcorn out of oven, let cool, and break into bite-sized pieces.
Alfredo and Black Bean PizzaMakes 4 servings
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1 (6-ounce) package frozen ready to eat chicken breast strips, thawed
1 cup prepared Alfredo sauce
1 (12-inch) pre-baked pizza crust
1 (6-ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup canned black beans, drained
1 (4-ounce) can sliced jalapeno peppers
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté garlic for 30 seconds. Heat chicken in oil.
2. Spoon Alfredo sauce onto pizza crust and spread evenly. Top with half of the cheese. Place chicken and garlic on top of cheese then top with beans, peppers, and the other half of the cheese. Sprinkle with parsley.
3. Bake pizza, directly on oven rack for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into slices and serve warm.
Mini ReubensMakes 16 servings
1 (1-pound loaf) cocktail rye bread
1 cup Thousand Island dressing
1 1/2 pounds deli sliced corned beef
1 (16-ounce) jar sauerkraut, rinsed, drained
1 pound sliced Swiss cheese
1. Preheat broiler and place rye bread on a baking sheet, in one layer. Spread about 2 teaspoons of dressing on each piece then top with one piece of folded corned beef. Spoon a small amount of sauerkraut on top of corned beef.
2. Top each with a piece of folded cheese and place sandwiches under broiler for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve warm.
Homemade Gummy CandyMakes 12 servings
1 (.6 ounce) package sugar-free fruit flavored gelatin mix
6 (.25 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup water
1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepot and stir until it looks like a soft dough. Heat over medium heat until it turns to a liquid. Pour mixture into any style mold you desire.
2. Place in refrigerator or freezer until it is firm, about 30 minutes in the refrigerator and 10 minutes in the freezer. Pop candy out of molds and serve. Make extra and store in an air-tight container.
For more movie night recipes or other party-perfect recipes, check out Sheknows.com Party Perfect Recipes