Low glycemic apple raisin oat muffins - Low GI muffin recipe
These apple raisin oat muffins are not only low glycemic (low GI), they are also low fat with less than 1 gram of fat per muffin. If you are craving something sweet, try this muffin recipe as an alternative to cake or cookies.
- 1/2 cup All-Bran cereal
- 2/3 cup non-fat milk
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 green apple
- 1/2 cup unprocessed oat bran
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pour All-Bran into milk and let stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Sift flour, baking powder, allspice and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- Peel and dice apple.
- Add apple, oat bran and raisins to flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Combine slightly beaten egg, honey and vanilla in a small bowl. Pour into flour mixture and stir with wooden spoon.
- Pour All-Bran mixture into the rest of the ingredients and continue stirring until well combined.
- Lightly grease 12-hole muffin tin and spoon in the mixture.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until lightly brown.
- Serve warm.
Makes 12 Muffins