Sweet potato recipes - Candied sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes can be used to make many side dishes and wonderful desserts. Two of the most popular recipes made from sweet potatoes are candied sweet potatoes and sweet potato pie.
The words sweet potato and yam are often used interchangeably in some parts of the United States. However, they are quite different vegetables. Sweet potatoes are actually very nutritious, while yams are not.
A popular dish, particularly around Thanksgiving is candied sweet potatoes.
Candied sweet potatoes
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat over to 375 degrees F.
- Peel and slice sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place in greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Mix brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle potatoes with the brown sugar mixture.
- Pour 3/4 cup of butter over potatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove and baste with 1/4 cup of butter.
- Cover again and bake for 30 additional minutes.
- Remove foil and top with marshmallows.
- Bake uncovered for 5 minutes, watching carefully to make sure it doesn't burn.
Another popular sweet potato dish, particularly in the South is sweet potato pie.
Bourbon sweet potato pie
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- 2 large sweet potatoes (cooked and mashed)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup hot milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Soak raisins in bourbon for 30 minutes.
- Beat butter into mashed sweet potatoes.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar, hot milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Mix in raisins, bourbon and pecans (if desired).
- Pour filling into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 325 degrees F.
- Bake for an additional 40 minutes until knife comes out clean.
- Cool slightly before serving.