Easter is right around the corner. In 2008, the Easter holiday falls on March 23rd. Growing up, one thing I looked forward to on Easter (outside of Easter egg hunts and chocolate bunnies) was Easter Meat Pie. Primarily considered an Italian tradition, many families eat this hearty pie for Easter brunch. The quiche-like pie is full of yummy ingredients, including eggs, cheese and several meats.
- 12 eggs
- 1 lb. ricotta cheese
- 1/2 lb. mozarella
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/2 lb. boiled ham
- 1/2 lb. Genoa salami
- 1/4 lb. pepperoni
- black pepper
- Dice all meat into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Mix well with all ingredients in a large bowl.
- 4 cups flour
- 5 tsp. baking powder
- 1 stick margarine
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 cup warm water
- Mix flour and baking powder in large bowl.
- Mix in margarine, then add eggs.
- Slowly add enough water to the mixture form soft dough.
- Knead well.
- Grease two 9-inch pie pans.
- Line pans with dough (be sure to save enough dough for top crust).
- Add filling to each crust.
- Top with remaining dough and pinch edges.
- Pierce top with a fork and brush with egg.
- Bake in oven at 325 degrees F for 75 minutes.
- Remove from oven when toothpick comes out clean.
Makes 2 pies.