Florida grapefruit and grapefruit juice are rich in vitamin C, which promotes a healthy immune system and boosts collagen production, giving skin a healthy glow. Wild salmon contains omega 3’s, which can help protect against osteoporosis, aid in weight loss and improve brain function. It also offers vitamin E, which can prevent cardiovascular disease and certain cancers. This low-fat appetizer is a great way to start a meal while benefiting the mind and body inside and out.
- 2 large pink grapefruit (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 pound of boneless wild skinless salmon, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 pound of cherry tomatoes
- 1 yellow or orange pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 zucchini, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1 small red onion, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 12 wooden skewers
Cut the top and bottom off one of the grapefruit. Place it cut-side down on a cutting board. With a small pairing knife, cut along the curve of the grapefruit and remove the peel, exposing the fruit. Turn grapefruit on its side and cut 1-inch slices across the membrane (slices will have a flower-like appearance and have the membrane intact). Cut each “flower” in half and set aside.
Cut the other grapefruit in half. Squeeze the juice into a small saucepan and discard the rind. Add the soy sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce reduces by half and starts to thicken. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cover two cookie sheets with aluminum foil. Coat the aluminum foil with cooking spray. Thread the salmon, tomatoes, peppers, onion and grapefruit slices onto the skewers. Drizzle with half the teriyaki sauce and bake 10-12 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the salmon is no longer translucent in the center but still moist. Drizzle with remaining sauce and serve immediately.