First and Goal Cheddar and Tomato Ranch Fondue
Are you have a party to watch the college football Bowl games this week? This fabulous fondue is just perfect for the occasion. Diane Morgan, entertaining expert and award-winning cookbook author, offers game day recipes that not only reduces prep and cook time for the host, but delivers flavorful and unique snacks guests will love.
Expert's Note: Crusty cubes of French bread are dunked into a fondue pot or small electric slow cooker of cheesy melted Cheddar and Pepper Jack cheese flavored with Hidden Valley Original Ranch Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix, roasted garlic, and punctuated with diced tomatoes. Guaranteed to score!
Makes: 8 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 2 cups (8 ounces) medium Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups (8 ounces) pepper Jack cheese, grated
- 1 1-ounce packet Hidden Valley Original Ranch Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons store-bought minced roasted garlic
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, cored, seeded and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 2/3 cup heavy (whipping) cream
Foods to Dip
- Florets of broccoli or cauliflower
- Baby carrots
- Crusty-hard peasant bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- Celery sticks
- Unseasoned breadsticks
- Tortilla chips
- Pita chips
1. In a medium bowl, toss together the cheeses and seasoning mix. Set aside.
2. In heavy, 4-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the garlic and tomatoes and sauté, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes just begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the cheese mixture and stir until the cheese is completely melted. Add the cream and stir until smooth. Transfer to a fondue pot set over an alcohol or sterno flame to keep it warm. Alternatively, transfer to a mini electric slow cooker and keep warm. Serve immediately.